Introducing the OHP-GEO:
The Haute-Provence Observatory – UMS Pytheas is a site of observation, research and training of the CNRS INSU for astronomy, environment and atmospheric studies. It is located in the SUD-PACA region, 20 km north of Manosque, 80 km from Marseille, at an altitude of 650 m.
The OHP-GEO is about the environment and atmosphere aspects of the OHP.
The OHP-GEO has three missions and as such is a candidate for the labeling in Instrumented Site (SI) by INSU:
- A long-term research mission around 3 main research themes (link to research tab) based on the instruments of 3 INSU National Observation Services: ICOS-Fr, NDACC-Fr and Photons-AERONET (links).
- A mission to welcome researchers during field campaigns. It welcomes researchers of all nationalities who use its high-performance means.
- A teaching and training mission, welcoming several hundred students each year, notably during the national internship SIMO (link to training) and the European school ERCA (link to training).
Some unique strengths of the IF OHP-GEO candidate in the national landscape:
- The Haute Provence Observatory is in the PACA region, particularly exposed to climate change.
- It is a clear sky site favorable to satellite validation.
- The OHP is a "rural" site sometimes disturbed by the advection of anthropogenic or natural plumes, which allows to develop studies on the background atmosphere and on advecté plumes
- The OHP site has a large hospitality capacity and a team of technical experts to support the scientific community and teaching activities.
- The OHP is participating in the implementation phase of the IR ACTRIS-Fr and wants to be involved in this infrastructure for the long term at national and European level. The OHP has already housed the SNO PHOTONS and AERONET photometer calibration centre since January 2019.
- The OHP-GEO now hosts 3 SNOs (NDACC, ICOS, PHOTONS); These elementary bricks allow the development of transverse scientific axes to the SNOs described in the Research tab. The OHP-GEO also benefits from additional long-term measurements carried out on two other unlabelled INSU platforms: an AtmoSud station (Air Quality Monitoring Agency in the PACA region) and the O3HP (Pubescent White Oak Observatory) INEE).